10/26/22, 5:30pm - 7:30pm
If you have wanted to make a sweater, but are unsure where to begin, then this sweater foundations class is for you! We will learn all the essential and basic skills that you need in order to make your first knit sweater. This is a workshop style class where we will be discussing techniques and practicing how to do them. These skills will prepare you to knit your first sweater, however, we will not be knitting a sweater within this 2 hour class.
Techniques to be comfortable with before coming to class
- Knitting and Purling in the round
- Decrease and Increase Stitches
Techniques discussed in this class
- Taking measurements and choosing your sweater size.
- How to make a gauge swatch
- How to read a sweater knitting pattern
- How to complete raglan increases M1L and M1R
- How to create short rows
- Different Bind Off choices for a sweater
- How to use Lifelines
- How to cast off and pick up sleeve stitches
- Beginner sweater patterns we recommend
- DK or Worsted weight yarn (dark colors are not preferred)
- Knitting needles
- US 6 - 8 (DK weight yarn)
- US 7-9 (Worsted weight yarn)
- Tapestry Needle
We will be discussing and practicing many techniques in this class. Please complete this homework before class to save time during the workshop
With DK or worsted weight yarn, cast on 20 stitches and work approximately 2 inches in stockinette stitch.
Do not bind off and leave live stitches on the needle. We will use this to practice additional techniques.