Your cart
Close Alternative Icon
Close Icon
Down Arrow Icon

Bob's Jedediah Capris

Sewing a pair of pants has been on my to-do list for a while now. But the complexity of the different pieces, the fly and getting the correct fitting, all added up in my mind to a garment that would be really complicated and one that I needed to hone my skills a bit more before attempting. With spring approaching and consistently warmer weather on the horizon, I knew it was time to face my fears and work through the construction of a pair of pants, because my end goal (and one that I’ve been dreaming about for the last year) was a pair of capri length pants for summer.
Bob's Jedediah CaprisPattern: Jedediah Pants by Thread Theory 
Fabric: 3.5 yards Ventana Twill in Canyon Red, 1 yard of Carolyn Friedlander’s Reptile in Peach, 1 yard lightweight woven interfacing
Size: 38 inch waist
Modifications: Shortened total length by 9” for capri length

Bob's capri length jedediah hand-sewn pants
As I’ve sewn multiple new patterns this past year, my usual route is to try out the pattern exactly as printed the first time and then make alterations based on that experience for additional garments. Making garments in sequence not only helps me get really familiar with the construction, but I feel like my skill level gets better and I’m much happier with my end results! In sewing these pants, I did the same thing: I sewed a pair of full-length pants the first go and then worked up to these capris.

Side view of Bob's capri length jedediah pants
While the pattern gives instructions for flat felled seams on the outside of the pant legs, I decided to go with the optional bias-bound seam finish (shown in the pattern for the shorts version), as when the hem is rolled up, the bias shows and gives a pop of color and a fun point of interest. I had a lot of fun choosing a print for the bias tape and pocketing that is playful and makes these truly unique and fun.

Back view of Bob's capri length hand sewn pants using the Jedediah sewing pattern
Putting these pants together was pretty straightforward, and the illustrations and written instructions are thought-out and logical. I did encounter one snag when putting in the zipper, mainly because of the multiple pieces, how to maneuver the pants for sewing, and when things got sewn in was just a bit much. Luckily, Thread Theory has some amazing video tutorials that take the fly step by step and helped me wrap my mind around just how the pieces fit together! Once I was able to see those steps, I finished up the pants in no time.
front view of Bob's capri length red jedediah pants
My big learning from sewing these pants was that there is a lot of value in really paying attention to the details of sewing a garment. Those details (like topstitching, binding hems and fully finishing) might take a bit of time, but they make me so happy with the finished garment. I also learned that I need to stop being afraid when sewing! While things can get tricky at times, the only way I’m going to keep learning and getting better is to keep challenging myself with different garments. I’m excited about what’s next with this pattern and have eyes on making this again as a couple pairs of shorts for summer!

Comments on this post (2)

  • May 19, 2019

    It’s great to read about your process and is one reason I started following you on Instagram. I love seeing the details you include and take time to make….very inspiring! I’m trying to improve my skills with each of my projects too rather than rush through it.

    — Molly

  • May 08, 2019

    The pocket detail is perfection! These came out great!

    — ZeroWasteMaker

Leave a comment