As I go through my current projects, I'm so excited about each and every one! These days as we are heading towards warm weather, I'm spending more time with fibers like linen and lightweight cotton.
I'm extremely excited about Liesl + Co's Classic Shirt, a basic button up that includes pattern pieces for various cup sizes. One of my all-time favorite garments is the classic button up, but often I find them gaping at the bust or just a bit too boxy for my figure. I am thrilled to be able to choose for both my size and my bust measurement with this pattern. I chose my size based on my upper bust measurement (34" = size 4), and then determined my cup size by subtracting my upper bust from my full bust measurement (37.5" - 34" = D). My hips measure for a larger size, so I've graded out to a size 8 at the hip. I've just finished the pockets and am excited for the next step: pocket flaps with hidden buttons!
The fabric I'm using for my Classic Shirt is a lightweight cotton gauze we just received from India. It comes in array of muted colors perfect for breezy tops. This is going to be the ultimate summer button up and I can't wait to put it on!
Currently in my knitting bag: Visser from Anna Maltz in Shibui Twig. This mid-weight summer sweater pattern caught my eye--I love the horizontal construction which results in vertical stripes. Especially awesome is the colorwork ribbing on the neck and hem that visually matches up to the vertical stripes. That little detail sold me on the sweater, and I decided to use tweedy Twig for my Visser.
I swatched a couple color combinations and am so glad I took the time to see what the colors look like knit together. I am using Pollen and Field. I also swatched a few different gauges. Although the yarn's recommended gauge matches the pattern exactly, I found I preferred a smaller, denser gauge for a more structured fabric. The recommended yarn has more wool in it, and I felt Twig, a drapier blend of mostly linen and silk, needed to be knit tighter for a similar look.
To achieve this I went down to a gauge of 26 sts & 36 rows/4" on US 2.5 needles. The pattern calls for 22 sts/4". To adjust the pattern for my gauge I did some calculating--I'll be knitting a couple sizes larger, as well as adding some stitches for additional length to account for my gauge, but I'm sure I'll be happy with my Visser with these alterations.
In my quilt basket, I've got a queen size Supernova in the making, made from a selection of Me + You Indah Batiks and solid quilting cottons. I chose a selection of pale neutrals and mustard hues for the lighter fabrics, and for the dark fabrics--navy, plum and dark neutrals. I'm loving how this moody quilt is coming together! I usually have my quilts machine quilted, but I'm thinking I will hand-tie this one.
I'm getting my wardrobe ready for summer with a Wanderlust Tee turned dress. Made from this woven tropical print, I lengthened the tee into a wide and swingy dress. I shortened the sleeve a couple inches and I'll finish the neckline with some bias tape cut from my fabric.
A project that is currently on hold--but I'm still super stoked about--is this Georgetown Cardigan in Woolfolk Far, color Raven. Once I get some of my summer projects wrapped up, I'll get right back to this. Because an off-black, super soft, grandpa-chic cardigan is going to be amazing come fall!
Besides all these exciting and fun projects, there are always a few things going on in pattern development. Here are some sneak peeks at things happening behind the scenes!