We are excited to announce our 2019 Knit-Along, the Vivarium Pullover! Join us as we cast on for this lovely, garden-inspired sweater. Designed by our own Amber Corcoran, Vivarium has a floral motif and easy-going fit, the perfect pairing for a Spring knit-along. The pattern is fresh off the press, published in Pom Pom Quarterly, Issue 28: Spring 2019, a beautiful collection of botanically inspired hand knits.
Designed for rustic and elegant Retrosaria Beiroa, Vivarium is a boxy, bottom-up colorwork sweater intended to be worn with a comfortable 10" of positive ease. Knit in the round with a split hem, this three-color sweater is inspired by the full cycle of plant life - seed, branch, bud, and fruit - from Amber’s own garden. The pattern knits up relatively quickly, on size 9 needles with simple colorwork. During the knit-along, we will be sharing a tutorial on the armhole steeking method. With 3/4 fitted sleeves, drop shoulders, and a slightly cropped body with plenty of ease, this pullover is the ideal choice for working outdoors or running errands on fickle Spring days.
Beiroa is a very special yarn that starts in the mountains of Portugal. Bordaleira Serra da Estrela is an important heritage sheep breed specific to this region. Their wool makes a rustic yarn that, once gently washed, is soft enough to wear against the skin, yet retains its rustic beauty and heartiness. The wool is naturally pale oatmeal in color, and bits of natural brown wool is added in during the spinning process. This adds random slubs of natural color in the yarn. Once overdyed, all of the colors have this underlying variation, which is totally unique to Beiroa.
Amber will be knitting her Vivarium in Beiroa yarn with undyed Pebble (401) as the base, plus Tomato (570) and Milk Chocolate (491) for the contrasting colors. Perfect for a hard-working colorwork sweater.
Jaime will be knitting her Vivarium in Navy (685), Duck Egg (611) and Sand (409). We've turned this combination into a Vivarium Pullover Kit, along with a few other curated palettes. She has already knit her swatch and is ready to start her pullover when the KAL begins!
The Vivarium KAL will go from April 16th to June 19th.
- Cast on! We will be casting on our pullovers on April 16th. Local Denver folks can join us at Craft Night that evening from 6 - 9 pm for a special cast on party!
- Knit! We’ll be knitting our sweaters together at Craft Night every Tuesday night for the duration of the KAL. If you’re not local, or even if you are please join us on...
- Instagram! Use the hashtags #vivariumKAL and #fancytigercrafting on your Vivarium pics so we can follow along with your progress virtually and for a chance to win a prize for:
- 1) Best In-Progress Photo - Gram your knittin’ anytime during the KAL for a chance to receive a $25 Fancy Tiger Crafts gift card. You can share as many progress pics as you like for more chances to win! Bonus points for those that share their spring garden process along with their Vivarium progress.
- 2) Best Finished Photo - Gram your finished Vivarium Pullover by June 19th for a chance to receive a $50 Fancy Tiger Gift Card.
- Finish! We plan to finish our sweaters by Tuesday, June 18th. We will have a Craft Night sweater celebration with treats and libations. Bring yourself and your pullover to Craft Night on the 18th for a high five, good times and a photoshoot so we can share your work here on the blog!
The winning pics and prizes will be announced and shared here on June 24th.