It's that time of year again, where we begin to think about the quiet time after the holidays when we will have time to knit a sweater again! We recently hosted the Cumbria trunk show from Kelbourne Woolens, and every one of us became enamored with Courtney Kelley's Seascale sweater. This flattering sweater is based on the traditional Guernsey style fisherman's sweater, or gansey. It got us thinking about how great Guernseys are and how we must--tada--have a knitalong for one! Read to the end for all the deets on the KAL and how to win a some crafty prizes along the way.
© Kelbourne Woolens + Amanda Stevenson Lupke
To join in our Guernsey/Gansey KAL you can choose any sweater pattern in this style to knit with us. We have a few recommendations of patterns below, as well as a few yarn recommendations for you. We will cast on on January 5th, and local peeps, please join us to cast on at our Tuesday night Craft Night. The knit-along will go through March 8th, when we will have a Craft Night party to celebrate our finished sweaters and document the Guernsey awesomeness.
sweater photo © Kelbourne Woolens + Amanda Stevenson Lupke
We, of course, are very excited about making the Seascale Sweater. Jaime and I will both be making this pretty Guernsey during the KAL. I'll be making Seascale in Cumbria from the Fibre Company, in the rich, deep green color Grizedale Forest. It was a really tough call between that and the classic navy colorway Derwentwater, which Courtney's sample is knit in. They are both so good... I cannot wait to knit a sweater from this Cumbria which I fell so hard for when knitting my Baa-ble Hat!
Jaime is knitting Seascale with Baa Ram Ewe's Dovestone DK, in the wonderfully minty blue heather Bramley Baths. Dovestone DK's overdyed, naturally heathered wool is going to make a beautiful Guernsey! This yarn is sure to make the textural stitches of this sweater shine!
Another modern Guernsey pattern--this one designed for men--is Michelle Wang's Albion sweater for Brooklyn Tweed. This sophisticated take on the traditional Guernsey would look stunning in Shelter's deep navy Old World, or the true blue color Almanac which the sample is shown in, or any of the many stunning neutral hues in the Shelter palette.
sweater photo © Brooklyn Tweed/Jared Flood
Some classic Guernsey patterns that would be perfect for this knit-along, are Elizabeth Zimmerman's Gaffer's Fisherman Gansey and Penny Straker's Staithes Guernsey. These would be beautiful and so classic in the Natural or Dark Natural of our Heirloom Romney, and Blue Maize would be the perfect choice for the classic navy hue.
left photo Gaffer's Fisherman Gansey © Schoolhouse Press | right photo Staithes Guernsey © Straker Classics
So here's the KAL deets:
- Choose and purchase your yarn by January 5th and receive 15% off of any of our recommended yarn choices in store or on our website with the code "fancykal2016".
- Join us again here on the blog on January 4th, when designer Courtney Kelly will share her knowledge and appreciation for the Guernsey sweater to get you ready for your KAL-ing.
- Cast on! We will be casting on for our sweaters on January 5th. Local Denver folks can join us at Craft Night that evening from 6 - 9 pm for casting on together.
- Knit! We'll be knitting our sweaters together at Craft Night every Tuesday night for the duration of the KAL. If you're not local, or even if you are please join us on...
- Instagram! Use the hashtag #fancykal on your KAL pics so we can follow along with your progress virtually, and for a chance to win a prize for:
- Best In-Progress Photo - Gram your knittin' during the KAL for a chance to receive the Kelbourne Woolens: Greenrow Hat Pattern + A skein of Cumbria in your color choice.
- Best Finished Sweater Photo - Gram your Guernsey sweater style by March 9th for a chance to receive a $50 Fancy Tiger Gift Card.
- The winning pics and prizes will be announced and shared here on March 11th
- Finish! We plan to finish our sweaters by March 8th. We will have a Guernsey celebration Craft Night with treats and libations. Bring your sweater to Craft Night on the 8th for a high five, good times and a photoshoot so we can share your work here on the blog!